Healthy Vegetable Masala Khichdi Recipe | How to make Vegetable Masala Khichdi
Rate this recipe!
Overall rating 00 ratings
moong lentils (yellow lentials) soaked for half an hour
sort grain rice soaked for half an hour
ghree (unsalted butter)
tbsp cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
red chili powder
Salt to taste
sized onions finely chopped
Half green bell pepper finely chopped
Half cup green pea par boiled
size potato cut into dice
fresh coriander finely chopped for garnishing
Pressure Cooker Method:
1. If you have pressure cooker, heat 1 tbsp ghee into it.
2. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle, and add asafoetida, curry leaves. Imdieattly add soaked lentil and rice into tempering.
3. We have taken 1+2 cups lentil + rice mixture. So total 3 cups quantity. So you need to add 3 times more water than lentil + rice mixture that means we have to add 9 cups water into pressure cooker to let it simmer. Please be precise while adding water, so you will get good consistency of Khichdi.
4. We are not gonna add vegetables into it. But only diced potatoes you have to add at this stage.
5. Finally add seasoning. Add turmeric Powder, 1 tbsp red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
6. Give a good stir to it, cover the cooker with tight-fitting lid and cook it until 3 whistles sounds and immediately switch off the stove. Let them cook and wait till the pressure form cooker is gone before opening the lid.
7. Take one large pan, and 1 tbsp ghee again. Heat the ghree and add just 1 garlic clove minced. Sauté for 30 seconds, now add onions and bell peppers into it. Give it good stir.
8. After cooking it 1 minute add green pea and tomato puree into it. Also add 1 tbsp red chili powder (as per your taste) and garam masala (optional). Add just 1/3 cup water and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Now transfer that Khichdi form pressure cooker. Turn off gas. Give a good stir after switching off the flame of gas and garnish with fresh coriander.
1 If you don’t have pressure cooker, take one microwave safe large pot, or you can use 9-by-13-inches baking dish. Add ghee and cumin seeds both together into your pot.
2 Put it into microwave for 30 seconds. Add pinch of asafoetida and add 1 cup lentils 2 cups rice and you need to add double the water. So total 6 cups water. You need to add diced potato in this stage
3 Here you have to add all spices: turmeric Powder, 1 tbsp red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
4 Now cover with lid and cook it for 20 minutes into microwave. Every 5 minutes take out the pot and check whether more water is required or not.
5 Cook for more minutes if Khichdi is not cooked perfectly. The next steps are same as pressure cooker method form step – 7.
Don’t forget that core of this recipe is not to overcook these vegetables. At last add spices, like turmeric powder, red chili powder as per your capacity to eat spiciness, coriander powder and garam masala
These are sure healthy but they taste very yummy even. Am so happy to do Blogging Marathon after a break , as this for this week theme I chose kids snack time recipes and here is my first day kids friendly canapes